06 August 2011

FASHION // the countess



dress and clutch: vintage // lace top: unknown // heels: Steve Madden



I've decided the best way to dress is like a deranged-yet-still-beautiful Russian countess. With some improvements, of course — wool shawls in summer? No thank you. But I do love having my hair up like this. Messy yet sophisticated, and it doesn't look strange with curly hair.

The comb is very old and probably Spanish. My grandmother dropped off boxes upon boxes of old jewelry and clothes; among them was a box she'd gotten at an estate sale of an old woman named Mrs Hold in the 70s. She estimates its contents (the comb, an antique Spanish BumpIt type device, several Victorian bonnets, and a few miscellaneous sleeves, collars, and bits of yellowed lace) to be from the 1800s.

Anyway, I spent the morning striding around in a long silk robe and looking regal. Pointing one's nose in the air constantly makes one's eyes cross a little.

Two different earrings. One of them (right) is actually Russian; the other (left), I don't know. They, too, were part of the treasure trove my grandmother dropped off. And look! Little second piercings!
Sorry about the horrendous quality. Photobooth in low light is not my friend. Also, I am not wearing makeup, so let's ignore the huge dark circles under my eyes.


You may now call me the Countess Nikolaevna Rusalka Anastasia Karina. The small part of my heritage that really is Russian says that those are suitable names. The large part of me that is Irish does not know how to pronounce them.

Maybe I'll stick to Olivia.



PS: Thanks for the link-clickage yesterday! I don't know if I'll get it but you guys made a big difference. Sorry it was confusing, only 30 words were allowed. If I get in you will be treated to a big post full of me freaking out.



PPS: I'm sponsoring a giveaway for carlotta today! Go enter. Shoo. Go on.



listening to: It's Good To Be in Love by Frou Frou
It's a good song, give it a chance. Weird, but good. Listen to the lyrics.

31 comments:

  1. dare I say this is probably my favorite outfit of yours yet? you pull off the disheveled russian princess look so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a compliment... Maybe? Disheveled has never been directed at me in a positive way before. Hmm. I think I like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohmygoodness- i just love this look! and you are so lucky to have all that vintage stuff- my mother has a few dresses from the 80's, but that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Countess Nikolaevna Rusalka Anastasia Karina. You are ever-so-stunning. Like Carlotta said, this may be my favourite outfit of yours yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GRACIOUS. Your outfit makes me happy. It's gorgeeeee. And I can't get over those shoessssss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the outfit Olivia! You have such a good sense of fashion and style! Looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh great and mighty Countess Nikolaevna Rusalka Anastasia Karina...i love your outfit. :D I wouldn't wear it myself, probably, but that sweater/shirt is adorable. And so is your amazing hair. Oh yes. <333

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its the SHOES!!!!!!!!! You look awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovin' the hair and sweater.♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. You most definitely can pull off this look! It looks extraordinary on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohmyword, want those shoes. now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that dress and top! SO cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, and I forgot to mention... my house is currently white (vs brick it was before), so expect an overload of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the little crown in your hair and your hair itself! I agree with you. Your curly hair looks "messy yet sophisticated".

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Countess Nikolaevna Rusalka Anastasia Karina,
    We wish to inform you that we found your pictures enchanting. We would like to have them in our next edition of "Russian Fashion for the Imbecilic" Please notify us as soon as possible.
    regards
    Count Vladimir.

    sorry all that is fake except for this part Dear Countess Nikolaevna Rusalka Anastasia Karina,
    We wish to inform you that we found your pictures enchanting.

    Which when tranlated say " Good grief that outfit is stunning!!!!!!!"

    ~
    Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  16. good grief your posts never cease to make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful as always :)) I love your hairclip!
    -Jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. That outfit looks gorgeous on you! It's my favourite so far : )
    I've entered in the giveaway! I like what you've sponsored!
    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete
  19. is it okay if i add this outfit to my fashiolitsta page?
    just wondering in case you didn't want your outfits posted anywhere else on the internet
    ~Libby

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my gosh. the shoes. so beautifully amazing! i am on a quest to find shoes just like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Libby: I'm not sure how that works. If you give me credit and link back to the blog I guess it's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That outfit is gorgeous. And those shoes? Can I take a pair home with me, please? please?!
    They're absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it, especially the earrings! The dress looks so springy :) And its the shoes again! :) PS: Are the 2 mice left still alive?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the photo of your hair......nice.

    ReplyDelete
  25. A little short ain't it?

    ReplyDelete
  26. But.... I dare say it is Gorgeous!!!!!
    Love the outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pretty! Love the hair--that style is great for curly hair. I do my hair like that a lot too.

    ReplyDelete

because comments = ❤

read about